NABERS Energy and Water Ratings
Mondrian is an important example of how the operation of apartment buildings can be sustainable. The NABERS for Apartments program measures the way energy and water are used efficiently and in an environmentally sustainable way. A good NABERS rating is testimony to the way Mondrian is managed and its standing as a premium building.
Mondrian – Premium Building
In its first rating year Mondrian obtained a NABERS Energy Rating of 3.5 stars – above average – and a NABERS Water Usage Rating of 3 stars. For its Second Year of rating Mondrian has achieved an enviable 5 star rating (out of 6 stars) for its use of common property electricity. The increase from 3.5 stars can be partially attributed to the installation of 30kW of solar pv capacity coming on top of years of energy saving innovation.
Mondrian is on track for further improvement.
Energy Efficiency – 5 Stars
This above-average score reflects the energy saving measures taken in recent years
- All foyer and corridor lights converted to LED or compact fluoro
- Garden lights changed to LED
- LED and sensor-controlled lighting installed in the car park and fire stairs
- CO monitoring controls for car park ventilation fans, ensuring compliant ventilation with optimum use of energy.
- Mondrian installed rooftop solar panels to provide solar pv energy for common property use, Mondrian’s common areas are now self-sufficient in energy for much of the 8am to 2pm period in winter and summer.
- Pool heating – While the outdoor swimming pool was previously unheated, Mondrian’s investment in heat pump technology now means the pool can be heated to a comfortable temperature and the swimming season extended in an energy efficient and cost effective way. The intention is to avoid any materially adverse effect on Mondrian’s NABERS rating.
Mondrian is currently one of just two residential apartment buildings that has achieved a 5 star energy rating, bettered only by one other building with a 6 star rating.
Mondrian recognises the scope for the installation of additional solar pv capacity in the future. As battery technology develops the case for investing in further solar capacity and batteries will strengthen and Mondrian may seek to reduce its reliance on grid power for common property use after dark.
Water Efficiency – 3.5 Stars
For its Second Year of rating Mondrian has achieved a 3.5 star rating (out of 6 stars) for its use of water. High water efficiency ratings are hard to achieve as is evidenced by only two residential apartment buildings having achieved a rating higher than 3.5 stars.
Mondrian has a small rainwater catchment capacity which is utilised for watering the front lawns and its effectiveness contributes to Mondrian’s NABERS Water rating.
Future improvements in Mondrian’s NABERS Water rating are achievable if residents use water sustainably and ensure their plumbing fittings in their apartments function correctly and do not leak.
Ensuring that our ratings are retained
Close monitoring of Water usage via the SUMS portal is essential for identifying leaks and other factors that might lead to extra costs and prejudice Mondrian’s NABERS rating. Email or phone alerts to Mondrian’s building manager make this an effective tool for controlling energy and water usage. The SUMS portal is fully operational for water and, when issues around data feeds from utilities are resolved, will also provide real time information on electricity usage.
Both ratings expire on 28 August 2021